Lewisboro is a scenic community in the lower Hudson River Valley, just 55 miles from the Heart of New York City. The Town of Lewisboro includes the hamlets of Cross River, Golden's Bridge, South Salem and Waccabuc.
The town was established in 1731 and is named after John Lewis. After purchasing land from the local natives, the first settlers established themselves around South Salem. The town was formed as “Salem” in 1747. By 1790, the town assumed its current dimensions as lands were removed for other towns. The name changed to South Salem in 1806. John Lewis, a financier, requested the town be given his name and established a fund for the town, though he did not follow through on his promise of a railroad link. Lewisboro is noted for its elaborate gardens, most notable in its public traffic triangles. Dry-stone walls and elaborate colonial mansions are other dominant features to the town of Lewisboro.
Unlike the neighboring communities of Katonah and Ridgefield, Lewisboro does not have a downtown business district. The effect this has had on the community has resulted in no "center of town". Most people in town gather and do their shopping at one of the two shopping plazas, in the communities of Goldens Bridge or Cross River.
There are 7 lakes in the town of Lewisboro. Lake Waccabuc, Lake Oscaleta, and Lake Rippowam are interconnected and are collectively known as the Three Lakes, and are natural (not man-made) lakes. Lake Waccabuc is the largest and most well-known of these, and the area of town named after it has a separate post office. Lake Oscaleta and Lake Rippowam are also called the Twin Lakes, probably because of Twin Lakes Village, a development which runs between them. The other lakes in town are Lake Truesdale, Lake Katonah, Lake Kitchawan, and Timber Lake. Recognizing the importance of the lake communities in the town, in 2007 a Lakes Committee was formed by the Town of Lewisboro.
Ward Pound Ridge Reservation is Westchester County's largest (4,700-acre (19 km2) park. In addition to many trails, there are camping facilities and a Trailside Museum. The main entrance is on Route 121 in Cross River. The Lewisboro Town Park on Route 35 contains tennis courts, the town pool, ball fields, and outdoor basketball courts. When ice skating is available in winter, a sign is posted. There are also some walking trails in this park that connect to the adjacent Ward Pound Ridge Reservation.
The Katonah-Lewisboro School District serves the town of Lewisboro, the northern third of Bedford, including the hamlet of Katonah and portions of the towns of Pound Ridge and North Salem. It has four elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. These are: Katonah Elementary School, Increase Miller Elementary School, Lewisboro Elementary School, Meadow Pond Elementary School, John Jay Middle School and John Jay High School.