The lovely Village of Buchanan is situated in the northwestern corner of Westchester County on the eastern bank of the historic Hudson River. Located within the Town of Cortlandt, the village covers 1.4 square miles. Commuter service to New York City is available via the Cortlandt train station and the Croton-Harmon train station, served by Metro-North Railroad. U.S. Route 9 and 9A pass through the village.
Rich in history and amenities, visitors and residents enjoy a thriving shopping district, parks, recreational facilities and more. A wonderful place to live and work, Buchanan is home to Entergy, which provides electricity to the entire region.
The property now known as the Village of Buchanan was originally inhabited by the Kitchawonke Indians. Stephanus VanCortlandt purchased 1000 acres from the Indians in 1683. The 1000 acres included what is now the Village of Buchanan. The property was passed on to Philip Verplanck, husband of Gertrude Van Cortlandt (granddaughter of Stephanus VanCortlandt) and in 1836 the land was sold for real estate development to a company of ten people, of whom John Henry was the principal, for $300,000.00.
In 1860 a tannery was opened by two gentlemen named Strang and White. Their company produced patent leather from sheepskins for shoes and leather for carriages and wagons. In 1872 Alexander Buchanan of Newark, New Jersey purchased the tannery, enlarged it and began making oilcloth. Alexander’s son, George, and his other three sons went on to develop one of the largest oilcloth plants in the country. By 1920, their plant and company, Standard Coated Products employed nearly 400 people. Much later the property was sold to Tensolite who made fine wiring for the space program. Presently located on this property is Westchester Industrial Complex.
In 1789 the Hamlet was known as East Haverstraw and in 1848 the railroad built a station at the end of what is now White Street. The station was later moved to Montrose and the hamlet was then named Centerville. Centerville was changed to Buchanan when the post office was established in 1890. George Buchanan was the first postmaster.
On June 19, 1928 when our Village was created it was named after the Buchanan family to recognize the great contribution that the Buchanans made. The first Mayor was Augustus J. Cole (1928-1934. First Village Trustees were Leonard Tuttle (1928-1934), Joseph Yafcak (1928-1935), Charles Brenning (1928-1935) and Arthur E. Conklin (1928-1933). Appointed at the first Village Board meeting was Village Clerk Harold Conklin, Treasurer David O. Henion and Village Attorney Robert F. Barrett.
In the 1920’s the Hudson River Day Line owned the property in Buchanan known as Indian Point Park. Excursion boats sailed up the Hudson River from New York City to Indian Point where people disembarked and spent the day. The park had a large swimming pool, dance pavilion, rides and a picnic area. In 1954 the park was purchased by the Consolidated Edison Company to build an atomic power plant. The nuclear power plant is now owned by Entergy, NE.
The data relating to real estate for sale or lease on this web site comes in part from HGMLS. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Real Estate Company are marked with the HGMLS logo or an abbreviated logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing broker. The information appearing herein has not been verified by the Hudson Gateway Multiple Listing Service, Inc. or the Hudson Gateway Association of Realtors, Inc. or by any individual(s) who may be affiliated with said entities, all of whom hereby collectively and severally disclaim any and all responsibility for the accuracy of the information appearing at this web site, at any time or from time to time. All such information should be independently verified by the recipient of such data. This data is not warranted for any purpose. Copyright 2018 Hudson Gateway Multiple Listing Service, Inc. All rights reserved.